The Alcan Highway or Alaska Highway is one of the most popular tourist attractions of Alaska. It was built in 1942. This road connects Alaska to the other states of U.S. This highway has lots of history behind it. Here are some interesting facts about the Alcan Highway.
1. Before Alaska Highway was built, the main transportation system to Alaska was by water. During the World War II, people faced hazards of shipping supplies by water. In order to get relief from this situation, the Alaska Highway was built.
2. The construction of the Alaska Highway is known as the “greatest engineering feats of the 20th century”. Men had to work under extreme weather conditions. Temperatures ranged from minus seventy degrees to ninety degrees above the zero level.
3. It is now one of the greatest tourist attractions in Alaska. From May to September each year, people gather here for the most scenic drive of their lives.
4. In 1942, military trucks were unable to pass through this highway. After World War II, when it was opened to the civilian traffic, it had to close down again after a short while as there were too many traffic. During 1980s the Canadian portion of the highway was paved with gravel. Now, it has two-lane highway which provides comfort and safety.
5. You can see wild animals down the paved drive. These include moose, black bear, wolf, caribou, mountain goats, fox, horses, etc.
The Alcan Highway is known as the legendary road of the North. It served an important purpose in 1942. Since then there have been lots of developments on the highway. Now people come here every year to experience the spectacular drive. You must also come here at least once to experience the great ride.